Friday, June 15, 2012

A Quick Update!

A quick update on our progress in the village this week!

We spent another 3 successful days up in the village Monday through Wednesday and it was filled with more long hours of hauling sand, cement, stones and bricks BUT the walls are going up! It seems that we are a bit behind and may not meet our goal of opening on Monday but we're moving in the right direction! The villagers will be working away over the weekend and we will return on Monday and help finish the walls so the roof can be completed!

Last night, we had a fundraiser with CFA to raise money for the clinic supplies. They called it Sokoshamba, meaning village night. We were able to buy trinkets, food and listen to African music. We even got to try on African dresses! It was a blast :)

This post is a little shorter than normal but enjoy the pictures from this week!

Playing with some of the school children on the way to Bunabuyoka

They all came running!

All the bricks they completed while we were gone last weekend!!

My nemesis--the cement.

Winnie, 6, is my favorite little girl in the village. She has 3 younger siblings an they are so darling! Cyrus is the most beautiful little boy that she carries everywhere

The men pouring cement over the foundation

Hauling cement in a skirt. Sometimes I forget what it feels like to wear pants, it's been so long!


Carrying bricks in an assembly line

"Surfs Up!" from Winnie and her cousin Brenda

Damalie is Winnie's little sister. She is so beautiful!!

Damalie loves eskimo kisses!

We love to play!

Such a cute little girl!!

My favorite family! Winnie, 6, (right), Damalie, 3, (on my lap) and my crazy little Joseph, 4, (hugging me from behind).

Joseph loves to dance while jumping on my back!

Winnie and baby Cyrus

The walls going up!



Josh and I in the midst of construction! He leaves next week and I'll sorely miss my partner.

Men hard at work stacking bricks!
After 3 days of hard work, my feet looked a bit rough. Sadly, it wasn't all dirt. The tan lines were still there after a long scrubbing!

At Sokoshamba Thursday night trying on customary African garb and attempting to balance baskets on our heads. A bit difficult!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, these are some of my favorite photos you have posted so far. You look so happy! And the childrens' faces are just priceless. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete