Thursday, May 31, 2012

Oh, What a Wonderful World!

I still wake up every morning thinking--is this real? Am I really here, living in Uganda? I love being here, every minute. I can't believe I've already been here for 3 weeks and it seems like I still have so much to do. I am living in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, with some of the most hilarious service-minded people serving the most loving individuals I've ever met. I feel so blessed and fortunate to be given this opportunity to be here and working alongside such great people. I know that I was meant to be here, as long as I can keep my mind focused on the work that needs to be done while I'm still here.

I apologize I've been slacking a bit when it comes to updating the blog about what I've been up to, as much of my time has been focused on projects, especially the clinic preparations in Bunabuyoka. We have been making great progress with the clinic, but a few things first!

Last Friday Josh and I volunteered at a school health clinic called Child of Hope, located in the slums of Namatala. We met with Grace, the school nurse who is a retired nurse from Mbale Regional Hospital. She's been the school nurse there for 5 years and she had us help as she administered to the children. When we arrived, there were about 10 children waiting for care and she had us help with each and every child. It was not exactly the experience I was expecting. I guess I assumed that we'd be nursing sick kids by coddling them with a little cough syrup, and send them off with lollipops and smiles. I was sadly, incorrect. The first little boy we tended to was visibly sick. He sat with his mother as she told us about his symptoms--vomiting yellow bile, fever, lethargy--all signs that would lead Grace to believe that this poor little boy had malaria. Because the vomiting was so severe, which we were witnesses of, he was unable to be treated with an oral medication. He had to be treated via injection, which Josh and I had to assist with, and we all know how children love shots. I felt terrible because of the chaos that ensued trying to calm and restrain a screaming, vomiting child. That was the beginning to my experience working in pediatrics. Every child that followed who needed injections reacted about the same way. Grace had us assist with the injections by administering them ourselves as she restrained the child.

 The way adults treat children here are VERY different than the U.S. I suppose you could say that in America, we "baby" our kids, but here adults are much more forceful, stern and less sympathetic. At the same time, children are far more submissive and speak very quietly, if at all. This was apparent to me as we worked in the school clinic. My favorite patients of the day were the ones who just needed an oral dose of antimalarial medicine. By the way, all Africans think that they have malaria, even if it might just be a common cold. Grace will diagnose almost every patient with malaria based on her own experience without testing to verify her assumptions. About 6 of the 10 children had were just given oral antimalarial meds, which was far more enjoyable to administer than the injection. Luckily, the school pays for the health care for these children but this is rare. Most children at schools do not receive such tentative health care or medicines. It's just sad because these children have parents who are illiterate, uneducated and have a dozen other mouths to feed, so many go neglected. The saddest moment of that day was when we had a little boy come in because of a rash head-to-toe that he'd had form birth. It was evident that this poor little boy was suffering from HIV. It was heartbreaking because this little six-year old was completely unaware of his condition, and apparently, so was his mother. That was another shock into reality here.

On a happier note, a group of us decided to take advantage of our Saturday and head up to Sipi Falls. We'd heard it was a great day hike and it would be a beautiful, scenic day off. It was such a gorgeous hike. Probably the most beautiful day in a while. We got to play in the falls and just enjoy the beautiful scenery!

Sunday we enjoyed another great day at the local LDS branch. The branch president, George, is so wonderful and kind and has the CUTEST kids who we hold during the meeting. The group of us 12 sang in Sacrament Meeting at they all loved it. One member even asked if we could record it for him to have.

Early Monday morning, I headed up with a few other team members up to Bunabuyoka. The hike actually gets easier the more you do it, which is good considering I'll be doing the hike at least once a week for the next 9 weeks. I can't believe how much I love these people!! They are so willing to help us. We had men who volunteered to carry our foam mattresses and food up the mountain just because that's all they have to give.

We stayed with Sarah and "Papa" and their family who have opened their home to us for the summer. Not only, did they let us take up their whole living room for 3 days but they made us Posho, Matoke (and even beans!) for lunch and dinner every day we were there. I'm so humbled by their willingness to give, when they themselves have so little. This is "hunger season" meaning that all their crops are growing so many of them go hungry in order to ensure that their children have food. Mothers in the village are responsible for getting water for their entire family, many of which have at least 6+ children. The problem is that the nearest water source is a good 25 minute walk along a dirt path to the other side of the mountain. Not only did they cook us food, but they provided us with lemon grass herbal tea before each meal. It was DELICIOUS and since returning to Mbale, I have began craving the tea. Mmmm!

As far as the clinic goes, we are prepped and ready to begin construction!! In fact, construction had already begun by the time we arrived. The men had all excavated the land needed for the foundation and had started accumulating stones for the foundation. We met with the village elders when we first arrived and they were so excited to show us what they had accomplished before our arrival. They did say that although it is hunger season and they have little energy, they will work as hard as they can until we complete this project. The next day, Josh and I taught a health class to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders. It was a bit difficult to teach especially since it required a translator, but I know that we got our messages of personal hygiene across--we quizzed them after and they all seemed to understand! A few girls taught English while Josh and I began moving stones up and down the mountain. It was hard labor carrying 20kg bags full of stones up a mountain in the heat and humidity of the African climate. But, it was absolutely worth every minute. I know that all this work will be worth the trip once the clinic is complete.

The remaining item sees to be that we receive enough funds to purchase the building materials so that we can begin construction on Monday. We will be helping create bricks and completing the walls, and the roof technicians will complete the roof at the very end. We will also be cementing the floor of the school extension, so I will return to the U.S. as an amazing brick mason/ cement layer.

If you are able, please donate what you can to our efforts in building this clinic. It might be one of the most important things I've ever done because I know the significance of these people's lives because they are in dire need. I spent part of Wednesday going to homes and interviewing families about their current health in their home and the health of the community. One man told us that he'd once had 10 children and they had all died because he had nowhere to take them when they got sick and didn't have the money to take them into town to receive medical care. Getting Malaria is a death sentence in Bunabuyoka because there is no help or medication. I know that many lives will be spared because of this clinic. I spent much of Tuesday evening playing with a group of sick children, and although I washed and sanitized often, I still came down with a cold and have been battling it since. Fortunately, I have cold medicines here at the house, while these children are all sick and have no options. This clinic could be one of the most important items this community needs and I will see to it that we accomplish it! It is my goal, and I know we can do it! Please donate anything you can, and I know that peoples' lives WILL be affected for the better.

Thank you for your support in loving and sacrificing for these wonderful people. You don't know the impact you're having on their life, but I can see the light in their eyes and gratitude they have for our help.

The children at the sick bed at Child of Hope School

Josh and I working with Grace at the clinic

Hiking up to Sipi Falls

Atop Sipi Falls!



Looking out over the valley


Some of the children at Bunabuyoka

The excavation that has already begun for the Health Clinic!

They held a celebratory dance party and these were our drummers!

All of us dancing with the villagers!

The large pile of rocks that we moved up and down the hill. It was worth every kilo of stones to keep everyone motivated.

The men continuing to dig to prepare for construction.

The school that we will also be roofing next week!

We filled the floor with rocks from the mountain which we'll cover in cement next week.

Josh and I at a clinic at a village here near Mbale.
I will be spending Monday thru Wednesday every week in Bunabuyoka working on construction and teaching, and the rest of the week working in clinics around the Mbale area, administering injections, filling prescriptions and evaluating the health status of children and local Ugandans.

This is turning out to be the best summer of my life and I am so grateful for this opportunity to be here! Keep posted for more exciting summer updates.

Much love!

Can you believe I live here??


Queen of the Falls!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Looks like you're having such a blast! Keep the posts and pics coming -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ashley, and I am happy just to survive my commute each day. Thank you for sharing your adventures and experiences. Makes my day!

    ReplyDelete